Condominium and Community Association Law
Please contact Na Lan for more information.
We provide Client-Centered and Tailored Legal Representation for Condominium and Community Associations, and Cooperative Housing Corporations
Our mission is to help your organization solve legal problems expeditiously within your legal budget, advise on legal issues arising from your day-to-day operation, interpret, amend and restate your project governing documents to ensure compliance with the applicable federal and state statutes, prevent and reduce future disputes, and provide legal support for your directors, officers and managers to guard all members’ investments in your building and community. Our practice includes all types of common interest community representation, including:
- Legal opinions for operation and property management – advising Associations on various legal issues relevant to the project operation and management as general counsel.
- Interpretation and enforcement of governing documents – providing legal interpretation of Association governing documents in compliance of the applicable law and assisting with covenant enforcement.
- Amendment and restatement of Declarations and Bylaws – amending and restating your Declaration, Bylaws and updating the directors, officers and property managers on changes in the applicable federal and state statutes.
- House rules and policies amendment and adoption – helping associations adopt proper policies and amend their house rules to ensure compliance with the applicable federal and state law.
- Review and negotiation of service contracts and commercial leases – reviewing and negotiating service contracts for associations; advising associations on commercial leases for mixed-used or commercial projects.
- Duties of directors and officers – advising directors and officers on their fiduciary duties and resolving disputes among directors/officers, homeowners and associations.
- Dispute resolution/litigation – settlement negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation representation for resolving disputes involving associations.
- Collection of delinquent assessments and foreclosure – representing associations to collect delinquent assessments owed by homeowners, proceeding with judicial or nonjudicial foreclosures if needed, and handling lease cancellations for cooperative housing corporations.
- Association insurance coverage and insurance defense litigation – advising associations on insurance coverage matters and serving as insurance defense counsel for associations.
- Fee conversion and lease rent renegotiation – advising condominiums and cooperative projects on lease to fee conversion, negotiating and arbitrating lease rent for projects pursuant to the terms of the apartment or ground leases.
Our attorneys have extensive experience with association legal representation, and the related insurance coverage and litigation practices. Ms. Na Lan is a member of the Community Associations Institute (“CAI”). She frequently speaks on association law at educational seminars, and serves on the CAI Legislative Action Committee, Hawaii Chapter, lobbying for condominium and community associations, and providing legislative updates for association directors, officers, property managers and homeowners.