Special Update as of March 11: Relief for Japanese and Other Nationals from the Pacific

This advisory is for Japanese and other foreign nationals from the Pacific stranded in the United States due to the earthquakes and tsunami devastation. If you have exceeded or are about to exceed your authorized stay in the U.S. you may be permitted up to an additional 30 days to depart.

Visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):

If you are at an airport, contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office at the airport
All others, please visit the local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office

Visitors traveling under a nonimmigrant visa:

Visit the local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office
Bring your passport, evidence that you are stranded (such as an itinerary for the cancelled flight), and your I-94 departure record

For additional immigration relief options, please visit the Special Situations Web page.

Stay Informed with Legal Alert


Attorneys at Law · A Law Corporation
1003 Bishop Street, Suite 1600 · Pauahi Tower · Honolulu · Hawaii · 96813
Telephone 808 · 531 · 8031
Facsimile 808 · 533 · 2242